|集数||8 + 圣诞特辑|
Harriet Walter and Peter Egan will reprise their roles as Lady Shackleton and Hugh MacClare respectively. Richard E. Grant, Anna Chancellor, and Rade Sherbedgia join the cast, respectively playing Simon Bricker, the Dowager Lady Anstruther, and a Russian refugee named Kuragin. Maya Lindh and Ethan Chapples will play Rose's sister Annabelle and her husband, respectively. Ed Cooper Clarke will portray Lord Merton's second son, Timothy. Catherine Steadman will portray Gillingham's former fiance Mabel Lane Fox. Shirley MacLaine and Paul Giamatti won't be reprising their respective roles as Martha and Harold Levinson, but they may possibly return in a future season.
A casting call has gone out for twin baby girls to portray Edith and Michael Gregson's daughter Marigold. Whether or not Charles Edwards will return as Gregson remains unknown, but an answer as to what happened to him has been promised. Tension will also continue to rise between John and Anna, whose assault has not been forgotten.
Allen Leech has suggested something sad happens in the opening episode, as well as that there is a campaign for the next Christmas special to be set at Christmas.
Covering the months from February to December 1924, Series five will continue some of the storylines established in series four, including Mary Crawley’s relationship with Anthony Foyle and Charles Blake, Tom Branson’s flirtation with Sarah Bunting, Edith Crawley’s pregnancy, and will explore the aftermath of Rose MacClare’s broken engagement with Jack Ross.
- Downton Abbey series 5 first look pictures arrive but what is Tom Branson carrying?], TV News, April 24, 2014, 13:20, by Claire Hodgson
- First Look at Downton Abbey Series Five Filming, TV News, By Naomi Gordon, Thursday, Apr 24 2014, 15:49 BST
- Downton Abbey Casting News at PBS
- ITV commissions a fifth series of Downton Abbey, ITV Press Centre, 10th November, 2013.
- Downton Abbey: Season 5 Planning Underway, Different Era on Tap, TV Fanatic, Matt Richenthal, 7th August, 2013.
- 'Downton Abbey' Cast Talks Season 4, Mourning Matthew and the Series' Future, Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter, 6th August, 2013.
- No more Downton deaths! Fuming creator Fellowes locks stars into two-year handcuff deals to stop them 'doing a Matthew', Chris Hastings and Simon Boyle, Daily Mail, 17th August, 2013. Quote: "Key characters including Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham), Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary), Elizabeth McGovern (Lady Cora), Maggie Smith (the Dowager Countess of Grantham), Laura Carmichael (Lady Edith) and Lily James (Lady Rose) have all signed contracts that will bind them to the show at least until the end of series five."
- Two Characters Killed off and another raped, The Telegraph, 11th November, 2013.